Monday, August 24, 2009

The latch mystery!!!

The disadvantage of a door latch was much felt on that day. I got up relatively early because the previous day, we all in my cab decided to explore a new route to office because the usual route is congested and time consuming. So mine was decided to be the second pick-up, which was estimated to reach at 8:25 a.m. So I finished my morning routine in a hurry and had ample time to get ready.

Happily listening to my list of morning songs, which I have saved under the folder Morning in my Windows media player, got dressed up in my favorite well starched and pressed pink salwar and stood in front of the mirror to wear my contacts, which is again a struggle for 10 minutes. I suddenly remembered about the poor airtel signal which always puts me out of coverage area, which is a default message for those who call me when I am at home. I carefully placed my phone on the kitchen window which is the only place where my signal shows atleast one line. Then I went back to the mirror for further beautification.

It was already 8:15 a.m and my cab mate was supposed to give me a call once they start. I assumed that she could'nt have reached me, so I dialed her number and asked, "Hi Good morning, have you started?? " She replied, "No, not yet". So the new route plan is goofed up, I said, "Oh!! I think we are getting too late today, just give me a call immediately you start." I sat back for a while and at 8:30 a.m my phone rang. I picked up the phone and from the other end, she said, "Hi Rashmi, we have started, will reach there in another 5 minutes". I replied, "Oh! You said you will call me once you start!?! It takes 10 minutes for me to reach there from home. So you will have to wait for me", I sounded unhappy about the whole thing...Then grabbed my bag in a hurry and started towards my door and unlocked it. I pulled the door. It was not happening. I checked my door mat which always gets stuck inbetween. I tried pulling the door hard this time. Phew!!!it failed again.

Suddenly I realized that I got locked and somebody must have deliberately done this at the early hour of the day. What do I do?!? Whom do I curse?!? Whom do I blame?!?

> My nosy neighborhood lady who had the clothesline right in front of my door to hang all different varieties of clothes and for have made her remove that soon after I came to the new house. The first thing I would see in the morning is a row of multi-purpose clothes. The previous night she discussed about this to me. She, in her 30's, being a healthy-active house wife has all the time to gossip with my house owner's maid but cannot go a floor above to spread those??? I said a stern "NO" to her. That "NO" must have probably developed a grudge on me???

> The CD shop guy who does nothing but sit on the table, swing his legs and stare at my door all the time??

> Or the naughty li'l kids around my house???

I started fuming and felt like screaming, "HELP ME!! HELP ME!!" But when the technology is advanced so much, why should I yell at the top of my voice?? I took my phone and got upset and annoyed to see the "No Service" text on my display. I ran towards the loo which is the other place in my house where airtel gives me signal. Not to make my cab mates wait for me, I informed them. Then I troubled my house owner. This one is different from my usual complains like "Sir, I saw a tiny filthy rat inside my house, I need to get rid of that...", "Sir, the kitchen tap is leaking...", "Sir, the geyser is not working...""Sir, blah blah...". So expecting the same tolerance level in him, here I go with some difference, "Hi Sir, I got locked inside the house?" From the other end a long pause...He would have thought "Ok, Rasmi's complaints have reached a different level" then he laughs..."Rasmi, who must have done that?" This when I am struggling!?! Least bothered to investigate further, "Sir, could you please send someone to unlatch because I am getting late?". He sent his daughter down. To embarrass me all the more, after unlatching, she laughed at me and ran away!!! But who is the culprit??? The mystery remains!!!

2 comments:

  1. this remembers me of a story that we got locked out of the apartment long time back.......your brother asked me to come out with him early in the morning to check his shirt in sunlight if there is any dirt because he is going for an interview, i followed him as he said and closed the door thinking he has the key .we searched the shirt in and out and was happy as everything was ok. and we thought of going back to house and we looked each other as the other person is going to open the door and to realize that we are locked out by ourselves with no cell phones and in the same clothes as we got up from the bed........dont know whom to be blamed.... and anyway we got inside with the help of a neighbour after an hour. we opened it with the help of a knife...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!!! this story is even more pathetic than mine...So door latch or lock is always scary!!!

    ReplyDelete