Friday, August 14, 2009

Speak your local language!!!

On a lousy saturday morning, I got a phone call from my family friend after like months, who got married recently. And my busy house shifting and house setting up schedules at weekends held me from attending their wedding. So isn't it my basic decency to invite the newly wed couple home?? Isn't it an opportunity for me to bridge the gap of invited-unattended wedding by cooking some nice lipsmacking dishes and invite them for a lunch or a dinner?? Isn't it a break and a one-day promotion for me and my kitchen from cooking for one person or rather not cooking at all??

Ok guys, as you all can guess, this is again my cooking story...Hey, but don't stop, keep reading, there is something more apart from cooking :D So finally I called them back and politely invited them for lunch..U should remember that I was still on the bed while planning all these for the rest of the day..I dragged myself out of the bed.

After a while, I hurried to the nearby Tender Chicken store...For those who do not know about Tender chicken, it is a neat chicken stall which, to me for the first time looked like a private bank with a bright orange board and white letters on that...it is a place where you will get fresh, sliced, tender chicken as the name denotes..How I wish the tender chicken MD could read the way I am campaigning :D...

Finally I reached the destination and was trying to push a glass door, then a tired looking boy from inside directed me through another entrance which appeared to me like a jewellery shop entrance with flowers hanging..Hey, I swear, zero exaggeration...I took a quick glance, I was impressed with the neat chicken store and got a break from the usual stinky, dirty place and I took a walk inside the store and noticed a long white board which listed down the things available. I smiled at the boy who was patiently waiting for my order and placed an order in my own version of kannada...(U see I am a keralite) He smiled and turned back to carry out his job. I peeped inside the counter to take a look at that sophisticated cutting machine which slices the chicken in various sizes and shapes. I was amazed with the way that little boy operated the machine to slice the chicken in small, equal sized cubes.

Suddenly a car screeeeeched and a middle-aged, short-stout shabbily dressed man barged into the store impatiently with a grumpy face and interrupted the boy, "Do you have nuggets"? The boy had a hearing-for-the-first-time expression on his face. He shook his head saying NO. The rude customer went on "I am asking do you have nuggets". No reaction from the boy's end. This time he started getting on to his nerves, "You don't understand English?? Do you know Hindi?? Do you know what nuggets is in the first place"?? The boy stands still and stares at him.

He flung open the door and reaches his car and puts his brainless head inside the window and speaks to his wife(I assume) in unbelievably pure, flawless, fluent kannada.. Can U believe that??? I was surprised and infuriated!!!! So the dude can speak kannada...

Various questions flashed through my mind:
1. Is this freak ashamed to speak in his local language?
2. Is this dude of late 30s trying to impress that tired looking boy or me standing there patiently having nothing better to do but wait for my pack and listen to his rude talks?
3. Or is he blaming the store for not keeping his goddamn nuggets?

He walks back to the store, and this time turning towards me, "You got what I meant, NUGGETS???" To annoy me all the more, he describes, "Something similar to cutlets..."

This, when that decent store has a board listed down all the available things?

This, when he with a bird brain can't figure out it is a chicken stall where you will get chicken in various shapes and sizes, BUT NOT IN VARIOUS FORMS?

This, when he can speak in his LOCAL LANGUAGE to his wife, but not to that poor, innocent shop boy?

This, when he explains what a nugget is to a matured, capable, knowledgeable, sensible, and a good cook (I know it is too much!!!) like me who knows the various forms and varieties of non-veg?

I had various options to respond to his stupid question.
1. Drag him towards the board where they had the whole list of things available
2. Snap him "Dude, why don't U speak your language???"
3. Ask him politely "Didn't you read the board what this store sreves before you stepped in"
4. Or, direct him to a supermarket

Guess what, I chose the forth option...

The freak turned and slammed the door behind him and headed towards a supermarket to chew their brains.

I turned towards the boy to hear him muttering something with an I-will-stranggle-that-guy face. If I am not wrong he was muttering "as if he is...blah blah.." He waited for my response ...I once again managed with my kannada, but this time proudly and confidently, I said "paravaagilla" means "that's OK".

That moment I felt so happy, motivated and proud about myself for knowing my local language..But felt incomplete for not learning the kannada muttering, which starts with "As if".

The courtesy goes to my buddy, Sowmya who taught me kannada in a full swing beginning with "Anae-Iruvae kadha" (ie; Elephant and Ant story). She made me take elephant steps to the new language instead of baby steps :D and the worst part was she used to make me narrate the whole story to all our kannadiga friends, which made them laugh their heads off!!!

Moral: Always speak your local language and be proud of it!!!

4 comments:

  1. Tumba chennagide!! (lest U write that ppl dont comment in their local language..)
    Just found another joke to tell that talking in other lang is also OK in some cases
    A family of mice were surprised by a big cat.
    Father Mouse jumped and said, "Bow-wow!" The cat ran away. "What was that, Father?" asked Baby Mouse. "Well, son, that's why it's important to learn a second language."

    BTW, when are you getting me some non -veg food ???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems very true.... & it realli delights me as u picked up with the ant & the elephant story :)

    ReplyDelete